eduroamUK provides eduroam in the UK and enables network logon anywhere using own username and password regardless of location without the need for guest account set up. The service is available at participating organisations over wifi and (depending on the site) at dedicated wired ethernet and/or designated guest workstations.
The course provides delegates with an understanding of how eduroamUK operates at both basic technical and support levels. This includes an overview of how to configure user equipment and solve some of the issues those users might face.
We go on to explore the configuration of wireless and wired clients for use on the eduroamUK service, details of the logfile examination and methods of fault finding and reporting.
- Share good practice and learn from others from within academic networking
- Tailored course specifically designed for Janet network-connected organisations
- One year of online support following the course
- High-quality materials including case studies, checklist and examples
- Learn from subject matter experts within the Janet network community
- Affordable prices
- All course materials, equipment and labs provided
Courses run from 10:00-16:30. Registration takes place from 09:30.
The course timetable will be adjusted on the day to allow discussion of areas of particular interest to the audience.
This course includes participant involvement through hands-on activities, discussion, group work created specifically for the course. All delegates will receive a full colour workbook, specifically written for the course.
All refreshments and lunch are provided.
Who should attend
This course will be relevant to those tasked with supporting an eduroamUK service within their organisation. This might include support staff wanting to learn more about user equipment and secure wireless configuration and service managers examining what their support staff need to know.
Delegates should have an understanding of networking, wireless technology and authentication. Knowledge of how their organisation stores user credentials would be of benefit.
What we cover
- Overview of eduroam and eduroamUK
- RADIUS and the eduroam authentication infrastructure
- EAP and 802.1X
- Supplicants and configuring clients
- Common issues and how to debug them
- Support obligations for eduroamUK sites
- Basic eduroam security
On completion of this one day course, delegates will be able to:
- Describe eduroam, its history, membership and governance
- Describe eduroamUK, its history, membership, tiered architecture and support structure
- Describe the relationship between eduroam and eduroamUK
- Describe what EAP and 802.1X are, where they are used and why they are important
- Describe how 802.1X authentication works and what the key components are
- Describe what RADIUS is, its origins and use today
- Identify where a RADIUS server sits within a network and how it authenticates users
- Apply their knowledge of RADIUS proxying to describe the eduroam authentication infrastructure and how eduroam proxies requests
- Describe Janet network National RADIUS Proxy Servers (NRPS)
- Describe how 802.1X and RADIUS can securely authenticate a user on the other side of the world
- Identify what a supplicant is
- Apply their knowledge of supplicant configuration to facilitate the setup of Microsoft Windows XP/Vista, Apple OS X and Linux
- Describe the importance of certificates and validating your RADIUS server
- Describe the support requirements for a site regarding its own users and identify the support requirements for a site regarding visitors
- Describe support provided to a site by eduroamUK and where support is available
- Describe the support provided to sites and the Janet network by eduroam
- Identify potential security problems of implementing eduroamUK/eduroam
Pricing and eligibility
- Jisc institutional members - £300 + VAT1
- Other organisations - £500 + VAT
- 1 If, in addition to paying a subscription, your institution has opted to become a Jisc institutional member, then - as part of our VAT-exempt cost sharing group - you will not be charged VAT on your course fee. For more information visit our VAT-exempt cost sharing group page: https://www.jisc.ac.uk/about/vat-cost-sharing-group
For more information, email [email protected] or phone 01235 822242.