Our board of trustees is made up of senior leaders and managers working in UK further and higher education.
Read the latest trustees' report and financial statements (2017-18) (pdf).
These experts determine our strategic direction and priorities to reflect the present and future needs of the education and research communities.
The Jisc board meet to:
- Approve the strategic aims for Jisc and its value and standards
- Ensure that financial and human resources are in place to meet these aims
- Review management performance
- Ensure that Jisc's obligations to its owners and funders are understood and met
- Agree objectives and monitor performance
- Oversee the integrity of the company's accounting and financial reporting systems
- Oversee the integrity of the external audit process
- Approve the annual financial statement based on advice from the audit and risk management committee
- Oversee health and safety matters
- Review its own performance and effectiveness annually
They include appointments of our representative members meaning Jisc is owned and guided by the communities it serves, truly delivering against their priorities.
Our board of trustees
- Professor David Maguire (chair), vice-chancellor, University of Greenwich
- Professor Liz Barnes CBE, vice-chancellor and chief executive at Staffordshire University - appointed by Universities UK
- Jonny Bourne, previously chair, Eduserv
- Susan Bowen, president, Cogeco Peer 1
- Dr Paul Feldman, chief executive, Jisc
- Professor Philip Gummett CBE, retired chief executive, Higher Education Funding Council for Wales - appointed by our funders
- Professor Paul Layzell, principal, Royal Holloway, University of London
- Rob McWilliam, chief financial officer, ASDA
- Professor Nigel Seaton, principal and vice-chancellor, Abertay University - appointed by GuildHE
- Professor Mark E Smith CBE, vice-chancellor, Lancaster University
- Jude Sheeran, previously chief executive, Eduserv
- Dr Ken Thomson OBE - principal, Forth Valley College
- Professor Anne Trefethen, pro-vice-chancellor for people and gardens, libraries and museums, University of Oxford
- Vacancy for appointed AoC trustee
Our representative members each appoint one person to the board and act collectively to appoint the chair. Our funders collectively appoint one person to the board. A single observer representing all the funders can attend Jisc board meetings. Up to eight further trustees are appointed by the board to ensure a sufficient mix of skills and experience to provide strategic oversight of Jisc.