Our board of trustees is made up of senior leaders and managers working in UK further and higher education.
These experts determine our strategic direction and priorities to reflect the present and future needs of the education and research communities.
The Jisc board meet to:
- Approve the strategic aims for Jisc and its value and standards
- Ensure that financial and human resources are in place to meet these aims
- Review management performance
- Ensure that Jisc's obligations to its owners and funders are understood and met
- Agree objectives and monitor performance
- Oversee the integrity of the company's accounting and financial reporting systems
- Oversee the integrity of the external audit process
- Approve the annual financial statement based on advice from the audit and risk management committee
- Oversee health and safety matters
- Review its own performance and effectiveness annually
They include appointments of our representative members meaning Jisc is owned and guided by the communities it serves, truly delivering against their priorities.
Our board of trustees
- Professor David Maguire (chair), previous interim principal and vice-chancellor, University of Dundee
- Dr David Ashton, deputy principal, Royal Holloway, University of London – nominated by our core funders
- Professor Liz Barnes CBE, vice-chancellor and chief executive, Staffordshire University - nominated by Universities UK (UUK)
- Susan Bowen, president and CEO, Aptum Technologies
- Professor Paul Boyle, vice chancellor, Swansea University
- Joanna Campbell, principal and CEO, Dumfries and Galloway College
- Dr Paul Feldman, chief executive officer, Jisc
- Professor Anthony Forster, vice chancellor, University of Essex
- Debra Gray, principal, Grimsby Institute of Further and Higher Education, part of the TEC Partnership – nominated by the Association of Colleges (AoC)
- Rob McWilliam, chief financial officer, ASDA
- Dr David Pilsbury, deputy vice-chancellor (international development), Coventry University
- Professor Mark E Smith CBE, president and vice-chancellor, University of Southampton
- Professor Anne Trefethen, pro-vice-chancellor for people and gardens, libraries and museums, University of Oxford
- Ashley Wheaton, principal, University College of Estate Management – nominated by GuildHE
Our representative members each appoint one person to the board and act collectively to appoint the chair. Our funders collectively appoint one person to the board. A single observer representing all the funders can attend Jisc board meetings. Up to eight further trustees are appointed by the board to ensure a sufficient mix of skills and experience to provide strategic oversight of Jisc.