Continued investment into the Janet Network will enable us to meet the growing demands from teaching, learning and research into the future.
Enhancing your world-class Janet Network to meet your future needs
The Janet Network is a large network serving research and education across all parts of the UK. It consists of a large backbone network to which 18 regional networks connect serving over a 1,000 connected organisations and 18 million users.
We are constantly evolving the network to ensure it meets the needs of its users, an example of which is ensuring that there is enough capacity to carry the ever increasing amount of traffic. To meet this need we will be upgrading a number of backbone routes to 600Gbit/s using Ciena's (one of our technology partners) new technology that allows us to upgrade the network in 400Gbit/s chunks as well as 100Gbit/s.
What we're planning
New network access infrastructure
Starting in summer 2018, we are embarking on a three to four year programme to upgrade and rearchitect access in most regions.
A number of the PoPs will be brought into commercial exchanges, standardising the architecture of access to Janet from these regions.
This enables us to operate with a more consistent approach to all aspects of building, operating and provisioning the network.
The benefits to you include:
- Reduced delivery time for members as we can provision new connections without relying on other providers
- Reduced running costs ensuring Janet is sustainably delivered
- A unified architecture that enables us to deliver services to you quicker and more flexibly
- Scaling bandwidth and capacity more efficiently - with a more coherent architecture it becomes much easier to deploy services end to end
- Deploying the latest technologies in a more agile way - whether that’s automating network provisioning through software defined networking, or virtualising network functions such as end users’ firewall services
We will work to ensure minimal service disruption, in line with our service level description and you will continue to enjoy a highly available, high performance internet experience through the Janet Network.
Increased security and flexibility
Cyber security is a concern for us all. As we move to the new access infrastructure, security will be implicit in that architecture.
The rearchitect is a real opportunity to embed the tools we need to better protect your network and network services.
The requirements gathering work we did when planning this upgrade confirmed that Janet is a mission critical service for you. It also needs to be flexible to meet future demand and more agile in dealing with change.
We are confident that this work will meet those requirements and ensure that the Janet Network continues to be world-class.
A new programme of conferences and workshops giving you the opportunity to help shape the future of the Janet Network.