We are in the process of re-engineering the Netsight portal through which your connection to the Janet Network, and any outages, can be monitored.
Netsight provides insight into the overall status of the Janet Network and valuable insight into the utilisation and performance of your connections. Available to all Janet Network-connected organisations, the service has been available in one form or another for over 10 years.
What we're doing
Netsight is being re-engineered with a new traffic monitoring system, user interface and new user account management approach.
The first focus of the project will be to rewrite the core code to bring the system fully under the control of Jisc.
How this will affect you
The first general release of Netsight3 will launch the core functionality with a new, more modern user interface and user access system.
Not all of the current functionality will be replicated - some will be incorporated into other or new Jisc operational and business support systems.
Here are some key dates to be aware of - please note, these are subject to change.
- 1 July 2019 - Netsight3 (beta) launch. Requests to join Netsight 3 (beta) will be collated and credentials issued near to the launch date
- 28 July 2019 - Netsight3 generally available
- 27 September 2019 - Switchover date. The current version of Netsight will run in parallel up until this date, but will cease to be available after this
We will send countdown notifications to the registered operation contact(s) at your organisation in the lead up to the current Netsight service closing down.
The Jisc management systems team are keen to hear from members and customers interested in viewing and feeding back on the new version, especially from:
- Those who use Netsight in their own operational centres, perhaps as an integrated part of their network monitoring solutions
- Organisations using Netsight to help with capacity planning
If you want to help us shape Netsight3, sign up for access to the beta version.