Penetration testing is the practice of testing a computer system, network or web application to find security vulnerabilities that an attacker could exploit.
With the guidance of our expert penetration testers, this hands-on course encourages you to think like a hacker.
You will research your organisation and explore vulnerabilities, testing for the most common internet-facing security holes. Your findings will then be compared with others in the community. You will learn how an attacker identifies weaknesses using search engines such as Google and Shodan, and what the hack attempt looks like first-hand.
You will take away an understanding of your own organisation's exposure compared to other organisations, the technical skill to test for the most common internet-facing security weaknesses and how to mitigate risks.
Who should attend
This training course is aimed at the security community, IT staff and IT managers from Jisc member institutions.
What we cover
During the sessions we will:
- Assess exposure via Google; discovering what your network looks like to an internet-based attacker
- Perform reconnaissance, performing tests which uncover “low hanging fruit” vulnerabilities
- Plan to address vulnerabilities found
- Share and address challenges
Pricing and eligibility
- 2 and 3 November 2021 - 10% discount for delegates attending the Jisc security conference 2021
- 1 All Jisc members – typically publicly funded FE, HE and Research institutions
- 2 VAT is charged at 20% of the value of the service. If you are a member of Jisc’s VAT-exempt cost sharing group, and you are able to provide confirmation of the exact taxable/exempt use of the service, we will be able to reduce the amount of VAT chargeable to reflect the taxable business use proportion of the service only. This additional information is required as a result of a change to HMRC policy. Please contact email@example.com if you require more information.
- 3 Eligible local government, public sector, private/independent education providers and non-profit customers
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01235 822242.
An easy route to procurement
We are an approved supplier on the Crown Commercial Service dynamic purchasing system (DPS). This provides a simple and trusted way for public sector buyers and our members to procure Jisc cyber security services and training.