eduroam is the secure, world-wide roaming access service developed for the international research and education community.
eduroam provides an infrastructure that allows users to authenticate onto a visited network (wireless and/or wired) using their home site credentials, without any local administrative burden or complexities on the user or the local IT staff.
This hands on course takes participants through how eduroam operates at both a basic technical level, but also at a support level. Hands on experience in labs is provided, showing how a RADIUS server can be configured for eduroam (both for home and for visited usage), examining the RADIUS proxy traffic and changing the contents of proxied messages.
- Share good practice and learn from others from within academic networking
- Tailored course specifically designed for Janet network-connected organisations
- One year of online support following the course
- High-quality materials including case studies, checklist and examples
- Learn from subject matter experts within the Janet network community
- Affordable prices
- All course materials, equipment and labs provided
Courses run from 10:00-16:30. Registration takes place from 09:30.
The course timetable will be adjusted on the day to allow discussion of areas of particular interest to the audience.
This course includes presentation, discussion, floorplan activities and hands-on use of a test environment established specifically for use within the course.
All delegates will receive a specifically written course workbook.
All refreshments and lunch are provided.
Who should attend
This course is of benefit to anyone from an organisation connected to the Janet network who wishes to gain a better understanding of how to implement eduroam in their organisation.
What we cover
- Overview of eduroam
- EAP, 802.1X and RADIUS
- Visited and home organisation configuration
- Deployment of service
- eduroam monitoring and support
On completion of this one day course, delegates will be able to:
- Describe EAP/RADIUS and eduroam proxying
- Describe the EAP authentication cycle
- Understand the additional requirements on equipment
- Describe the relationship between eduroam and eduroamUK
- Understand Janet NetLab virtual training environment
- Understand why and how to compile FreeRADIUS
- Understand output from FreeRADIUS in debug mode
- Understand how to configure FreeRADIUS as a visited site ORPS
- Understand how to perform a packet capture of RADIUS traffic
- Understand how to configure FreeRADIUS as a basic home site ORPS
- Apply knowledge of RADIUS proxying to describe the eduroam authentication infrastructure and how eduroam proxies requests
- Understand how to use IPv6 rather than IPv4 for the RADIUS server
- Understand how to integrate FreeRADIUS or RADIATOR with Active Directory
- Describe the eduroamUK support server
- Understand how to use the eduroamUK support server
- Understand how to analyse RADIUS packets
- Identify research activities with Janet eduroam service and eduroam Joint research activity
- Understand the importance of monitoring and methods that can be used
- Identify the issues with getting users devices online
- Understand the requirements of a successful deployment of eduroam
- Understand the importance of protecting the ORPS systems deployed
- Understand VSAs, why they should be filtered and how to filter them
- Describe the Operator-Name and know how to add it to proxied packets
- Understand the current security levels of wireless in eduroam
- Describe the importance of certificates and validating your RADIUS server
- Understand the eduroam monitoring system
- Understand the eduroam F-TICKS system
- Describe the use and reason for the eduroam database
- Identify common error messages from RADIUS servers and what they mean
Pricing and eligibility
- Jisc institutional members - £350 + VAT1
- Other organisations - £450 + VAT
- 1 If, in addition to paying a subscription, your institution has opted to become a Jisc institutional member, then - as part of our VAT-exempt cost sharing group - you will not be charged VAT on your course fee. For more information visit our VAT-exempt cost sharing group page: https://www.jisc.ac.uk/about/vat-cost-sharing-group
For more information, email [email protected] or phone 01235 822242.