These are online events. We will send you a link with joining instructions once you have registered.
Prevent is part of the government counter-terrorism strategy, it's designed to tackle the problem of terrorism at its roots, preventing people from supporting terrorism or becoming involved in terrorism themselves.
Jisc is accredited by the Home Office to deliver the Workshop to Raise Awareness of Prevent (WRAP), as a live online facilitated session.
WRAP is a free specialist workshop, designed by HM Government to give you:
- An understanding of the Prevent strategy and your role within it
- The ability to use existing expertise and professional judgment to recognise the vulnerable individuals who may need support
- Local safeguarding and referral mechanisms and people to contact for further help and advice
This workshop is an introduction to the Prevent strategy and an individual’s role in safeguarding vulnerable people. It does not cover wider institutional responsibilities under the duty.
This live session will include presentations, videos, discussions and interactive chat, both as a whole class and in break out groups. We encourage participation and hope that you will feel able to share your experiences and examples of best practice with the group.
This session is a live online facilitated session, in order to participate you will need:
- A PC or laptop running the latest version of Adobe Flash
- A headset or headphones and microphone
Due to the nature of the topic, you may wish to join the session from a private room rather than an open office environment.
Please note, the content of this course is not compatible with tablets or mobile devices.
- No travel, attend from the comfort of your own desk
- Share best practice across the sectors and nationwide
- Certificate of completion for your records
- Free to attend
- Share best practice with your peers
- Understand your role in the Prevent agenda
Who should attend
This workshop is the baseline staff training, designed by HM Government. Any staff member requiring awareness training may attend.
Sessions are currently available for FE and HE staff. We hope to be providing WRAP to a wider audience in the near future.
You may not know it, but you’re integral to Prevent’s success.
You already have the skills and support to hand that can recognise when someone may be becoming involved in or supporting terrorism, and can help them make a decision not to carry on that path, before any crime is committed.
By the end of this workshop you will be able to:
- Understand Prevent’s aims
- Think about who may be vulnerable to terrorism
- See why some people are able to influence and manipulate others to commit crimes
- Recognise when a vulnerable individual may be in need of your help
- Be clear on what help and support looks like in this area, and who you should turn to if you have concerns
Pricing and eligibility
This is a free course. Individuals from Jisc member institutions are eligible to take part:
- Publicly-funded HE and FE organisations in the UK
- Skills providers who are SFA contract holders or Welsh Government contract holders
- Alternative HE providers who have degree awarding powers, or who have specific course designation