Register your interest for future dates
No dates currently scheduled.
This online course covers the basics of network sniffing. From configuring networking devices to enable sniffing to occur, through to interpreting the output of the Wireshark tool. It will also explore alternative tools that can be used to support network-based investigations.
This course is led by Alec Edworthy from Loughborough University.
- Save time on troubleshooting networking issues
- Practice your skills in a safe environment
- Effectively use free tools
- Continued online support
- Affordable prices
- Share best practice with your peers
- Targeted assignments let you apply your knowledge to your organisation
- No travel, attend from the comfort of your own desk
The course will be delivered over five different days with live online sessions, as well as short offline assignments.
The sessions will involve presentations, audio and interactive chat both as a whole class and in breakout groups.
During the sessions you will have plenty of opportunities for discussions and communication with your peers. We encourage participation and hope that you will feel able to share your experiences and examples of good practice with the group.
These sessions are delivered over Adobe Connect, which you can access using the Adobe Connect app or directly via your browser. Further detailed instructions will be sent following booking.
Who should attend
The course is at a level that is suitable for those with some previous experience of network sniffing.
Delegates will need a basic working knowledge of Wireshark, a familiarity of the user interface and the ability to undertake the basic analysis of captured traffic.
Delegates who have an advanced knowledge of Wireshark should only view this as a light refresher course.
By the end of the course, delegates will be able to;
- Configure network equipment to sniff network traffic
- Capture network traffic using the Wireshark tool
- Describe the output of the Wireshark tool
- Capture network traffic using specific capture filters
- Choose and implement display Wireshark filters
- Diagnose VoIP problems using Wireshark
- Extract data from Wireshark capture files
- Identify network top talkers using Wireshark
- Investigate security incidents using Wireshark
- Perform basic web server load testing with Siege
- Identify suspect DoS activity with tcpdump
- Identify different tools to assist with network fault finding
- Use Wireshark to investigate real world scenarios
- Identify suspect activity using the Wireshark tool
Pricing and eligibility
- Jisc institutional members - £375 + VAT1
- Other organisations - £800 + VAT
- 1 VAT is charged at 20% of the value of the service. If you are a member of Jisc’s VAT-exempt cost sharing group, and you are able to provide confirmation of the exact taxable/exempt use of the service, we will be able to reduce the amount of VAT chargeable to reflect the taxable business use proportion of the service only. This additional information is required as a result of a change to HMRC policy. Please contact email@example.com if you require more information.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01235 822242.