My blog posts
John reflects on the upcoming Digital Leaders Programme and the development of a session that looks at how digital leaders can approach challenges... >>
John Sumpter explores how education can be enhanced by the appropriate and seamless integration of technologies such as Augmented Reality and Mixed... >>
I lead the digital leaders programme at Jisc. I have been a keynote speaker at international conferences in the UK, USA, Germany and South America.
Recent interventions include:
- Advising senior university leaders on digital transformation while bridging the gap between academia and technology
- Digital programme design/re-design, launch and management
- Virtual learning environment development, management and assessment including Blackboard, Moodle and Canvas
- Staff and student digital skills development
- Online teaching and delivering interactive and engaging webinars to large audiences
My discipline background in education is underpinned by a postgraduate certificate in higher education (PGCHE), master's in online and distance education (MA ODE (Open)), certified online learning facilitator (COLF) and I am a senior fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA).
Since 2003 I have been active in the field of educational technology, working as a project manager, senior lecturer, innovation manager and subject specialist.
Previous international work includes:
- The Metropolia University of Applied Sciences in Helsinki, Finland, developing blended and online learning strategies
- Queensland University of Technology (QUT) and the University of Technology Sydney (UTS), sharing best practices in online learning approaches
- University of Western Australia (UWA) in 2018, working with the Educational Enhancement Unit to implement the Higher Education Academy (HEA) framework and UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF)
- Pontifical Catholic University of Chile, South America, providing digital transformation advice, guidance and workshops in 2020
VLE review report 2020
Co-authored this report analysing the VLE reviews we completed with our members.
Read my related blog post, 'VLE success is not about tech, it’s about practice and people'.