My blog posts
Whilst published works are known entities, with declared titles and authors; archives are very often rather elusive to categorisation, commonly encompassing a... >>
I am the manager of the Archives Hub service, which brings together descriptions of archives held across the UK. I manage the development and maintenance of the service, including the website, application, training, marketing and enhancement projects, as well as inputting into the strategic direction of the service.
I provide help and advice to contributing institutions and represent the Hub in external meetings and conferences. I share the Hub’s benefits by writing articles, reports and blog posts and giving presentations on the Hub and issues of relevance to the archives professional and cultural heritage sector.
Selected papers and presentations
- Stevenson, J. (2012). ‘Linking Lives: creating an end-user interface using Linked Data.’ NISO: Information Standards Quarterly. 24.2/3.
- Stevenson, J. and J. Palmer. (2011). ‘Something worth sitting still for? Some implications of Web 2.0 for outreach.’ A Different Kind of Web: New Connections between Archives and our Users. Society of American Archivists Publications.
- Stevenson, J. and B. Rudduck. (2010) ‘Moving towards inter-operability: experiences of the Archives Hub.’ Ariadne 63.
- Linking Lives: The Story So Far. In ‘Off the Record’ ARA magazine for New Professionals, issue no.6, summer 2013:
- Case study: Interoperability and Sustainability, in The New Professional’sToolkit. (Facet, 2012)
I am interested in promoting the use and benefits of archives through online discovery and innovative uses of technology. This involves best practice in terms of the structure and consistency of data, as well as the use of XML for archival descriptions and issues around inter-operability in order to promote cross-searching of content.
I have an interest in innovative work around the use of the web for the cultural heritage sector and have been directly involved in Linked Data initiatives. I serve as a Trustee of the National Jazz Archive, and I mentor archive students as part of their registration process.