Jisc’s strategy is to satisfy our members and funders by delivering outstanding service and products, developing new products that truly make a difference to members; providing pioneering thought leadership that stimulates transformation in members and ensuring that our people and the way we do things make Jisc a shining example within our sector. All this is underpinned by a strong and sustainable financial performance.
Our strategy for the coming three years is to build on our previous success, taking our achievements to the next level and enhancing what we do to the further satisfaction of members and funders.
- Satisfy members and funders
- Deliver world-class core services
- Offer value-added services
- Inspire with thought leadership
- Transform Jisc
- Provide financial leadership
We measure members’ satisfaction through surveys and we aim to achieve advocacy in our members’ senior leadership. We want to deliver a great member experience, with a long-term goal of 95% satisfaction.
For funders, we will know we have their lasting confidence if they continue to fund us at current levels or more and ask us to take on new grant-funded challenges, as we have seen. Growing this level of funding in real terms will show we have their trust and that they see (and value) the difference we can make.
Each year we will produce a report summarising our thought leadership activities. Measurement will be linked to the degree of influence we have with government and institution leaders, which we will see in the membership survey and anecdotally.
We will continue listening and investing to ensure that our service and capability levels within our core offer remain fit for members’ future needs.
This investment will be thoughtfully directed with a well-defined roadmap of improvements in each key product area, governed by a redesigned product management process. This will ensure the roadmap is driven by our understanding of members’ requirements and priorities and will involve them.
We'll develop vibrant new services that are co-designed and driven by the needs of members in HE, FE and research, and are distinct from the commercial market.
We will launch a number of new minimum viable products annually.
A critical part of our role is to stimulate transformative change in the sector’s use of technology to improve teaching, learning and research.
We have defined six key areas where we will focus our thought leadership and become our members’ and funders’ first point of call for advice on how they engage with and benefit from these futures:
- Advanced e-infrastructure and cyber security
- Education 4.0 and technology-enhanced learning
- Open science and collections management
- Research 4.0
- Data analytics
- Student experience
We will proactively bring our thought leadership to life by developing new products and services that stimulate the transformations needed by the sector and will aim for these to be our hero products of our future.
To make everything happen, we need to be well run, operating effectively and efficiently.
Our aim is to be regarded as the best-run sector agency, with a people strategy that ensures we have the right culture, the right skills and the right internal processes to make things easy to do within Jisc, and make Jisc easy for members and customers to do business with.
Our strategy is underpinned by strong financial foundations that enable us to maintain the best quality service and deliver our product and thought leadership strategies while ensuring membership subscription is kept ‘low’, with an aim to maintain increases that are inflation-based or less, subject to grant funding.
We aim to address the balance of funding/income and to achieve a goal of 50% from non-grant sources.
We will run ourselves efficiently, ensuring that costs as a proportion of revenue grow less than inflation and aiming for an annual operating surplus of around £1m pa, while at the same time fully investing our restricted income in core purpose improved offerings.
- Janet continues to meet the growing demands of world-class research and education at a sustainable cost
- Technological developments incorporated into the Janet architecture
Continued cyber security protection of Janet, together with a coherent suite of cyber products that are readily accessible and adapt to the changing threats and security landscape.
Highly-competent Jisc cloud solutions division with capability to deliver income- generating solutions of value to our members and customers. A portfolio incorporating consultancy, professional services, managed services and direct reselling of public cloud.
Relevant services and solutions supporting cloud for research and scientific computing.
Trust and identity
- OpenAthens is the simplest and easiest to use system that enables single sign-on, rights of use and insight for learning and research resources anywhere in the world, with a customer base of 1,500 by 2021-22 and 99.95% service up-time
- Shibboleth market share continues to be maintained at 87%
- Coherent suite of services supporting access, delivery, management and use of content
- Enable the transition to open access through agreements with major publishers at a sustainable price
- Renewed content offer to FE and enhanced strategy for the e-textbook market
We will develop a coherent suite of services to support open research in the UK.
The go-to place for support in building digital capability and gathering student and staff expectations and experiences of the digital teaching and learning environment.
- A sustainable, leading and reputable provider of learning analytics solution(s) for UK HE, with a foothold in UK FE; providing and processing exclusive and high-value education (big) data and systems content through learner data hub
- A respected leader in business intelligence in UK education with a compelling educational dashboard suite
- Delivering the data analytics capabilities that UK HE and FE need in order to be the most digitally-advanced sector in the world