Continued investment into our Janet Network's infrastructure to meet the growing demands from teaching, learning and research, into the future.
What we are doing
Network traffic has been doubling every two and a half years since 2010. To ensure it remains fit for purpose, we are upgrading the Janet backbone to triple its original capacity in key parts of the network from 100Gbit/s to 300Gbit/s, and from 200Gbit/s to 600Gbit/s.
To meet traffic growth demands we will also be refreshing the core routing platform to ensure it remains leading edge and has sufficient capacity to enable the next level of capacity in the optical transmission infrastructure. Capacity connecting the 17 regional networks to the backbone will also be upgraded in line with increasing demand.
What this means for you
All of this means that the Janet Network will continue to be reliable, resilient and scalable to meet your needs.
For example it will:
- Enable you to make the most of cloud services
- Support your adoption of new business models such as online and blended learning/personalisation, use of streaming and multimedia, growth of satellite campuses, collaboration
- Support your increasing use of off-site data centres
- Improve the student experience by supporting your use of technology
- Underpin research demands enabling you to collaborate and compete internationally, and confidently bid for grants safe in the knowledge that Janet can support you