Janet6 midterm upgrade
Ensuring that the Janet Network continues to meet the needs of the education and research community
3 years and 1 month
Ended 31 Oct 2018100%
Continued investment into our Janet Network's infrastructure to meet the growing demands from teaching, learning and research, into the future.
What we did
Network traffic has doubled every two and a half years since 2010. To ensure it remained fit for purpose, we upgraded the Janet backbone to triple its original capacity in key parts of the network from 100Gbit/s to 300Gbit/s, and from 200Gbit/s to 600Gbit/s.
To meet traffic growth demands we also refreshed the core routing platform to ensure it remains leading edge and has sufficient capacity to enable the next level of capacity in the optical transmission infrastructure. Capacity connecting the 17 regional networks to the backbone was also upgraded in line with increasing demand.
What this means for you
All of this means that the Janet Network continues to be reliable, resilient and scalable to meet your needs.
For example it:
- Enables you to make the most of cloud services
- Supports your adoption of new business models such as online and blended learning/personalisation, use of streaming and multimedia, growth of satellite campuses, collaboration
- Supports your increasing use of off-site data centres
- Improves the student experience by supporting your use of technology
- Underpins research demands enabling you to collaborate and compete internationally, and confidently bid for grants safe in the knowledge that Janet can support you
We have upgraded the Janet backbone in key parts, increasing its original IP capacity to 600Gbit/s.
We took this opportunity to become the first NREN to deploy 400Gbit/s optical hardware in production, increasing spectral efficiency and allowing increased capacity on existing leased fibres when required by our members and customers.
Core elements of the Janet backbone routing infrastructure have been upgraded to provide the resources to deliver ever increasing capacity requirements into various data centres, cloud providers and to NRENs across the world via GÉANT. The first member sites have been connected via resilient 100Gbit/s connections.
Connecting our members and customers
To evolve the Janet Network further we have started a three-to-four year programme to upgrade the access infrastructure that links our members and customer to the Janet backbone. Over time this will provide capacity in a more flexible manner to meet end user needs.
This project ran until autumn 2018