Edtech startups are innovators. A growing number of them are taking highly creative approaches to solving the big strategic issues facing universities and colleges, such as improving student experience. Working with a startup while its solution is still in development brings institutions opportunities to influence and shape a product around their own particular needs.
However, choosing to partner with an untried organisation can feel risky. That’s why we’ve partnered with Emerge Education, a leading seed investor for edtech startups, to develop step up – a health check for startups.
You can engage confidently with a startup that has passed our step up check, knowing that some due diligence has been carried out and its solution is procurement ready.
How startups are assessed
Step up evaluates startups against robust criteria and – to those who meet the standard – it awards an "assessed by Jisc" badge at two levels:
- Those with solutions that are ready for pilots or a staged roll-out
- Those with solutions judged to be ready for full scale implementation
Spot startups with proven potential and follow our guidance on developing a partnership with a startup that benefits both parties.
Step up will run events for senior leaders in universities and colleges, looking at how to kickstart digital innovation with startups and engineering opportunities to meet step up approved edtech startups in a no pressure, no sales context.
Cut to the chase and meet the people who’ll share your vision.
Step up aims to make it easier for universities and colleges to embark on innovative projects with startups. It is designed to lessen their perceived risk and enable startups to reach the people they need to talk to.
Step up offers a range of benefits for startups who meet the criteria:
- A place on the Jisc startup database and signposting to Jisc members who are looking for solutions
- Comprehensive advice and practical support to reach "assessed by" status ready for full scale implementation
- Invitations to meet and engage with Jisc members, when you achieve the "assessed by Jisc" status
UK-based edtech startups with a product that could improve UK education and research who want help to get their market-ready solution seen by universities and colleges.
How much does it cost?
The step up programme costs £175+VAT per month (minimum 12 months) for start up companies in the UK. This includes:
- A health check assessment of your company against the step up criteria
- Feedback on areas that require development
- Resources and guidance to help you meet the criteria
- Support events to help you work more successfully with universities in the UK
- Reassessment, if required
If you are not a UK-based company but have the resource and want to expand into the UK market, please apply and we will set up a consultation call to discuss the programme and pricing.
Terms and conditions
Full terms and conditions coming soon.
For more information, please contact Sue Attewell (email@example.com).
Jisc and Emerge Education
Jisc’s detailed knowledge of the opportunities and challenges facing HE and FE, and Emerge Education’s role as a leading provider of seed funding and business advice to edtech startups, mean that, together, we’re uniquely placed to encourage innovation in the sector.
We’ve been helped and guided by a steering group of representatives from 29 UK institutions.