Here are some approaches that you can take:
- Follow a standardised version code methodology as a suffix to your file names
- Ensure everyone works from the same copy by emailing links to a single shared version rather than sending copies as attachments, or use a collaborative system such as a wiki
- Use document control sheets to record the document status and history as a standard part of formal and heavily revised documents
- Make it easy to identify drafts and final versions at a glance
- Decide whether you should retain draft versions once a final version has been produced.