This workshop offers an introduction to LPWAN and LoRaWAN technology, in collaboration with Digital Catapult.
Those who have undertaken work in the intelligent campus space will realise the potential benefits of using IoT networks in connecting sensors, vehicles equipment, and other connected devices to a network.
The workshop has two purposes:
- To learn more about LPWAN and LoRaWAN and to meet SMEs working with the technology
- To help shape a Jisc and Digital Catapult initiative which will lend gateways to a small group of universities and organise SMEs to respond to IoT challenges that the universities set
Friday 15 February
Arrival, coffee and networking
Introduction to Digital Catapult
An introductory talk from Digital Catapult to give an overview of who they are, what they do, who they work with and their mission.
Introduction of the Internet of Things
What is IoT? A look at the market for IoT in the UK, the potential use cases on campus and potential collaboration between universities and cities around IoT. Also looking at successful case studies from the Digital Catapult local authorities programme.
LPWAN technology overview
What is LPWAN? What are its attributes? A look at what is it good for and what its limitations may be, what LPWAN technologies exist and how they differ from one another.
Lunch and networking
LPWAN SME showcase
A demonstration of building health monitoring, asset monitoring, air quality monitoring, parking solutions and building sensors.
LoRaWAN deep dive
Taking a closer look at how the technology works, including:
- How to provision a gateway (base station)
- How to provision a device
- Building a basic sensor to send and process data
- How to register gateways and applications in the Jisc LPWAN portal
LoRaWAN at the University of Surrey
Professor Klaus Moessner
Jisc members IoT programme
An introduction to our IoT programme, looking at:
- Why we're doing it, and what we can offer
- How to participate and how the final challenges will be chosen
- What final participants should commit
- How long the programme will take
- Digital Catapult's gateway lending (long term loan) to valid use cases
Digital Catapult's innovation programmes
Taking a closer look at past and current IoT innovation programmes run by Digital Catapult and what they offer.
Next steps and closing notes
Who should attend
This will be of use to people who are:
- Interested in IoT and intelligent campus
- Considering using IoT and LoRaWAN technology as a potential solution for some of their challenges and innovative ideas
For further information please contact Esmat Mirzamany (firstname.lastname@example.org).