REaCTOR (Renewable, Environmental and Construction Technology Open Resources)
The overall aim of this project is to create a set of 3d teaching and learning resources for use by Built Environment lecturers and students in both Higher and Further Education. The resources will seek to demonstrate these complex technologies whilst in a safe, virtual setting. They will also reveal the mechanics of how they work and demonstrate their impact on the environment.
The resources are intended to complement the teaching of environmental technologies used within the built environment in the UK, and will be designed to meet a brief created collaboratively by the very lecturers and students that will use them. Once created they will be freely available to all Higher and Further Education institutions within the UK.
Once created, it is anticipated that these teaching and learning resources will:
- supplement and enhance the teaching of environmental technologies used within the built environment
- help to overcome some of the health and safety concerns common in the teaching of built environment
- enrich the learning experience through blended learning activities that utilise mobile devices (ipad, iphone, android), web based resources and 3D stereo presentations.
- help to make the teaching of built environment more inclusive (due to its physical nature, some aspects of the built environment sometimes exclude students with physical impairments)
The project will have the following objectives:
- To develop a portfolio of ‘open’ 3d resources to support the learning and teaching of construction and other related courses in HE and FE.
- To establish a commissioning process between EU Skills, NSA Environmental Technologies, the HE Academy Discipline Lead, Private and Public Sector organisations and Doncaster College.
- To explore the use of 3d resources on mobile devices supporting ios and android.
- Continue to investigate student creation of OERs.
- Continue to explore the sustainability of OERs and ways to discover them.
Anticipated Outputs and Outcomes
- A set of 3d learning resources to support the teaching of environmental technologies used in the built environment.
- Material to support the use of the 3d resources i.e. YouTube movies, user manual, case study
- A Final Evaluation Report.
- A Commissioning Brief.
- Monthly Project Reports (to support project governance).
- Project methodology collateral (such as workshop formats, interview guides).
Angela Kokes, Deputy Principal, Doncaster College, 01302 553599, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark Faulkner, 3d Developer/programmer email@example.com
- Marcin Kasica, Project Developer/programmer firstname.lastname@example.org
- Danuta Wisniewski, Academy Director, Doncaster College email@example.com
- Lou McGill, Evaluator, Independent Consultant firstname.lastname@example.org