Resource Discovery Programme
JISC needs to develop ways to support seamless, flexible and comprehensive resource discovery across a wellmanaged information environment to support the emerging knowledge economy. This will ensure the UK is well placed to innovate and create new knowledge. JISC’s Information Environment activity continues with the aim of providing seamless access to well managed resources for learning and teaching, but it will now needs to begin to address more flexible delivery to address requirements of universities, colleges, learners and researchers. It will endeavor to ensure that suitable service developments are delivered in sustainable ways as well as supporting further innovation to help address the challenges that a truly flexible, comprehensive and scalable information environment brings. In some areas it will be essential to work in partnership to achieve this vision and to coordinate work with other programmes of activity, for example with e-learning and e-research.
Priority areas for JISC
- End to end discovery to delivery for monographs and serials Seamless, flexible and comprehensive resource discovery across a well managed information environment to support the emerging knowledge economy
- Development to service Issues
- Enhancing JISC services
- Negotiating with resource providers about standards and protocols for resource discovery
- Guidelines for best practice for institutions
Aim and Objectives
- Making it easier to find and access resources within a distributed environment (Seamless access)
- Understanding searching behaviour
- Explore and develop technology that helps integrate resource discovery into workflow
- Aid resource discovery solutions within institutions
- Enhance JISC Services and access to JISC funded Collections
The Presentation and Fusion and Shared Infrastructure Services layers of the JISC Information Environment Architecture all deal with aspects of resource discovery and access of resources and services. The current programme of work reflects these areas.
The Resource Discovery programme is building on the Portals programme and Presentation programme.