Simple Web Service Offering Repository Deposit (SWORD)
SWORD is a lightweight protocol for depositing content from one location to another. It stands for Simple Web-service Offering Repository Deposit and is a profile of the Atom Publishing Protocol (known as APP or ATOMPUB).
SWORD has been funded by JISC to develop the SWORD profile and a number of demonstration implementations.
The SWORD vision is 'lowering the barriers to deposit', principally for depositing content (any content!) into repositories, but potentially for depositing into any system which wants to receive content from remote sources.
Community acceptance and take-up is sought through dissemination activities.
The SWORD project has had 2 funded phases so far.
- Phase 1 ran from March to August 2007 and the project manager was Julie Allinson, then of UKOLN
- Phase 2 ran from June to November 2008 and the project managers were Julie Allinson and Adrian Stevenson of UKOLN
- UKOLN, University of Bath
- University of Wales, Aberystwyth
- University of Southampton
- Intrallect Ltd
- Adrian Stevenson (Repositories Research Officer) UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath Tel: (0)161 445 4934, firstname.lastname@example.org