Course Data Stage 2 University of the West of England
UWE is the 6th largest University in the UK, with a focus on partnership and employability. As such it offers a wide range of different courses – UG, PG; FT, PT and DL/OL; professional and short courses. It provides data to a range of national admissions bodies – UCAS, GTTR, ELCAS - as well providing marketing information on its own web site.
In January 2012 UWE implemented a major restructuring of administrative services, the One University Administration (OUA) project. Admissions, marketing and CPD support activities have been included in this restructuring. While the OUA has taken priority over some other developments in the short term, it is also a catalyst for the re-definition of service activities and processes.
- UWE reviewed its quality assurance processes for academic provision in the Quality Management and Enhancement Framework (QMEF) Project. As a result, in January 2012, UWE implemented new processes for the approval and review of courses and a new process-focussed SharePoint site to support them (CAR). The scope of QMEF includes the majority of UWE academic provision, including UG, PG, FT, PT, DL/OL courses and some CPD.
- A project is being funded within UWE from Nov 2011 to April 2013 to review the provision, support and marketing of CPD. This will include looking at how information currently held on local databases can be held on corporate systems, including the SITS course database used for UG and PG courses.
With work recently completed on KIS, and in preparation for further initiatives on HEAR and published information, UWE see the XCRI work as supporting a range of activities to improve use of and access to course information.
UWE have committed to the JISC-XCRI programme of work in order to
- improve the coverage and quality of information available to prospective UWE students for hard to find part-time, online/ distance, postgraduate and CPD courses
- improve the transfer and advertising of courses data information within UWE and between sector organizations
- achieve process efficiencies through reducing duplication of effort and improving the understanding of courses data flows at UWE
- implement a sustainable change to business processes for courses data
Anticipated Outputs and Outcomes
- XCRI-CAP with COOL URI courses data feed (for hard to find UWE courses)
- Lessons learned report (interim work packages)
- Data dictionary and data stewardship
- Lessons learned report (end of stage 2)
- Internal and external knowledge transfer