Course Data Stage 2 Loughborough University: Open Course Data at Loughborough
Loughborough has recently moved to an approach where its online prospectus, managed through the Terminal Four Site Manager Content Management System, is the canonical source of course marketing information. The in-house Loughborough University Student Information (LUSI) system is used to manage student records, provide management reporting and generally support course administration. There is much commonality between the two systems, but consistency is presently maintained through manual checks.
We identified in phase 1 of the Open Course Data programme that none of these existing systems captured the full range of information required in order to produce a high quality XCRI-CAP feed. Hence our project will explore closer integration between IT systems and process improvements, in the particular context of generating a good quality XCRI-CAP compliant data feed of course marketing information. We are also very interested in addressing some of HEFCE’s requirements around the Key Information Sets (KIS) as part of the project, and improving our processes and procedures around course and module approval more generally.
The project will engage with JISC and the wider community through the project blog, through programme events, and through community events and activities that Loughborough is involved in. Loughborough is an active participant in a number of relevant communities, e.g. AUA, UCISA and CASE, and will be actively exploring opportunities to promote this work.
Building upon the earlier Open Course Data Initiative phase 1 project, this project will implement an XCRI-CAP data feed for selected Loughborough University courses, proposing enhancements to policies, procedures and IT systems as necessary. Extensive stakeholder engagement will be required, and the project team has been composed with this in mind. Specifically, the project will aim to:
Review existing processes, policies, and procedures where relevant
Devise a new approach to course data management
Develop a demonstrator implementation of the new approach, including XCRI
-CAP feed generation
Explore embedding and re-use of course data, e.g. via course data “widgets”
Anticipated Outputs and Outcomes
- Report Regular posts on the project blog to document developments
- Report Interim, final and closure reports
- Knowledge built Improved understanding of location of core data and information flows; potential vehicles for improving efficiency and reducing duplication; opportunities presented by in-house and third party software and services
- XCRI-CAP data feed As described above
- Software Open Source software to produce an XCRI-CAP feed based on Loughborough course data. There may also be some associated tools – e.g. course data “widgets” for public facing websites, and code to assist with the management of programme and module information
Martin Hamilton, Loughborough University IT Services, Holywell Park Campus, Loughborough, Leics. LE11 3TU, T: +44 1509 226009, F: +44 1509 226060 email@example.com