Course Data Stage 2 University of Salford: CDUS
This plan is for Stage 2 of the JISC Course Data Programme which aims to improve the visibility of the types of courses that have been traditionally harder to find, so that learners are able to find and compare courses more easily. This should help them to select the most appropriate course(s) for their needs.
The University of Salford stage 2 project (named CDUS – Course Data: University of Salford) will build on the work done in stage 1, which analysed the current position in terms of data sharing policies and the ability to provide a feed of CPD courses in an XRCI-CAP format. The work will be broken into a number of work packages but these can be grouped into two main streams: technical work around the production of the XCRI-CAP feed and business process work.
The repository for the data to be included in the XCRI-CAP feed will be the Agresso Curriculum Management System (ACMS) therefore in the technical stream, the internal project team will work with consultants from the system supplier (Unit 4) and will consult with other institutions using the same systems, to identify the best mechanism for producing the feed.
Within the business process stream the team will look at the processes and policies involved in the gathering and sharing of course data and they will work with University staff in the Governance team as well as those stakeholders more closely involved in the day to day operations of planning and running CPD courses.
As CPD course programmes may change more frequently than undergraduate ones, an important aspect of the work in both streams will involve managing changes to course details and schedules and ensuring data remains consistent between the University website and the Aggregator sites.
The CDUS project objectives are:
- Increase staff knowledge and skills around XCRI-CAP and how it relates to KIS, WIS and HEAR.
- Review and update Course Data related business processes
- Develop a policy for data sharing CPD course data during the JISC programme and post programme
- Provide a feed of good quality, consistent course data for non credit bearing CPD courses in the XCRI-CAP format that is consistent with that available on the University website
- Share information and lessons learnt with JISC, other project teams, the University and the wider HE sector
Anticipated Outputs and Outcomes
The anticipated outputs & outcome are:
- Data Sharing Policy(ies),
- System configuration & mapping document
- Project blog showing news, progress and outputs
- Enterprise Architecture documentation covering the provision of CPD courses and the XCRI-CAP feed
- Increased knowledge and skills around the XCRI-CAP standard and how it relates to other initiatives such as KIS, HEAR and WIS
- Training materials for the maintenance of course data and the provision of the XCRI-CAP feed
- Presentation materials for dissemination events
- Project reports
- Issues and Risks Register
- XCRI-CAP feed/Cool URI
- Testing Documentation
- Stuart Wells, CPD Manager, Research & Innovation Division
- Stella Morris, PQ Education Development Manager
- Carol Prestbury CPD Administrator, Research & Innovation Division
- Graeme Draper, IT Systems Manager, Research & Innovation Division
- Representatives from Governance teams