Course Data Stage 2 University of Lincoln: ON Course
For several years the University has been considering implementing a computerised system to manage academic programme (curriculum) information that allows automated version control and archiving of definitive programme information. We acknowledge that it is essential to have a single source of information for programmes and modules to enable the same information to be available across the University, for Faculties and Professional Service Departments, and for the production of information such as consistent marketing material, academic transcripts, programme and module specifications, and diploma supplements. An electronic system will also become increasingly needed for requirements such as the HEAR for graduating students, KIS and other public information obligations, including FOI requests.
Consequently, the University has been running a project to implement a new ‘Academic Programme Management System’ (APMS) and has recently accepted a EU Tender by Worktribe (Nottingham) to deliver this system by August 2012. The requirements for that project are very much focused on the need to “improve course data flows within the institution” and also requires that the provision of an XCRI-CAP 1.2 feed is also supported.
The ON Course project starts from the assumption that the existing internal APMS project is very much focused on improvements to course data flows within the institution and acknowledges the benefits of aligning our existing project within the context of a national ‘course data’ programme where we can share our experience and furthermore benefit from the experience of other institutions and support from JISC.
Equally, the ON Course project has a specific focus on the provision and use of external, public course data and in this respect is located within the context of our Open Data project. As such, we plan to focus on ensuring that the APMS project offers not only benefits to the institution in the form of improved internal course data flows, but also on the exposure and innovative use of public, open course data, combined with existing sources of open data that we publish and the use of third-party APIs.
The ON Course project has two primary objectives:
- To support and disseminate the relevant outcomes of the current acquisition and development of a central, authoritative, Academic Programme Management System (APMS).
- To provide a public XCRI-CAP 1.2 feed for all credit-bearing courses at all levels across the institution and develop appropriate ‘course data’ web services and applications of tangible benefit to the institution and the sector.
Anticipated Outputs and Outcomes
- Case Study: A thorough Case Study of the acquisition and development of an Academic Programme Management System.
- XCRI-CAP feed: A valid, system-generated, public XCRI-CAP 1.2 feed for all credit-bearing courses and RESTful API access to the XCRI-CAP and KIS data.
- Mashups: Visualisation tools to better understand our APMS (including XCRI-CAP) and existing open data (e.g. how courses relate to each other, how staff relate to courses, the use of space by course, use of energy by course, etc.).
- Personalised Prospectus Plus: Based on user group requirements, we will develop a ‘Design Your Degree’ web application. This will employ data from XCRI-CAP and supplemented by KIS and other institutional data.
- Joss Winn
- Jamie Mahoney, Web Developer