Course Data Stage 2 Leicester College
Leicester College is one of the largest FE Colleges in England and offers a wide variety of training and education, from entry level to HE. We employ over 1,500 staff, serving around 27000 learners from many backgrounds with diverse skill needs and ambitions. The College provides vocational and non-vocational training including Skills for Life, Employability skills, Apprenticeships and Train to Gain.
This project will implement changes to various internal systems and processes to create a more efficient course planning and marketing life cycle. This will allow the College to more effectively manage and market their courses as well reducing the burden in supplying different course feeds to various external organisations. We envisage that the end beneficiary, the prospective learner, will be better informed about the whole learning and teaching experience that a course will provide whilst being able to compare their choice with other courses at different educational institutes. As course information becomes more transparent and comparable the learners are better informed to choose a course that they are more likely to complete and achieve more successful results from.
Currently there are various data burdens in marketing course information in diverse formats. This puts pressure on internal teams to format data using different schemas in order to produce manual feeds to external organisations such as Connexions, UCAS and the National Course Directory. All course related marketing data is presently stored in one system
Within this project we will redevelop our internal course planning, marketing and management database system to ensure it is fit for purpose, robust and user friendly. This will be coupled with revamping internal course lifecycle processes to ensure courses are planned, created and marketed in the most efficient and timely manner. This will be outputted with an XCRI feed embedded within a COOL URI. This will be aggregated to feed various external organisations. It is hoped that as the uptake by FE and HE institutions to implement an XCRI increases, the number of external organisations ready to take an XCRI feed will also increase.
The following objectives have been identified for Stage 2 of this project.
- Implement changes to the Course Lifecycle process.
- Implement changes to the Course Database planning, marketing and management system.
- Implement changes to the course module of EBS, the student record system.
- Amend existing course marketing strategies
- Standardise various aspects of course information to output to all relevant external communications channels
- Create an XCRI CAP 1.2 feed on a COOL URI
- Adopt strategies for the KIS and HEAR initiatives
Anticipated Outputs and Outcomes
- Course Marketing Strategies: Revised course marketing strategies
- Enhanced Course Database: System More user friendly and feature rich system
- XCRI CAP 1.2 Feed: XCRI Feed with a COOL URI
- Course Standardisation document: Nomenclature for various course data fields
- Self Assessment framework review: Review the findings of the self assessment as documented in stage 1
- Huzefa Adamali, Leicester College, Systems and Information Manager, 0116 2242044
Michelle Felstead, Leicester College, Design and Production Co-ordinator, 0116 2242240
Sue Bourne, Leicester College , Head of Marketing, 0116 2242240
Steve Middleton, Leicester College, Funding and Data Manager, 0116 2242240
- Phil Abbott, Leicester College, Web and Intranet Developer, 0116 2242240