Course Data Stage 2 Lancaster University
The purpose of this project is to develop the use of EXCRI-CAP to prepare us for the increasing demands on course data. As an institution we are in the fortunate position of having all our course data held on one central system (an in-house development), but lack a standard way of displaying the data externally. It will help with our internal arrangements, emphasising the importance of a single source and at the same time assist with the improvement of the data particularly when displayed in an aggregator against other institutional data.
The project aims to include in the XCRI-CAP schema, all Lancaster courses, that includes all standard full time Undergraduate and Postgraduate course but also all other modes of attendance at all levels, professional development and courses from our centre for training and development. The initial emphasis and most work will be required in respect of all ‘non UCAS courses’.
- Agree an institutional policy relating to the use of XCRI-CAP by: identifying third party course collecting organisations that could be served by XCRI-CAP; agreeing the use of XCRI-CAP on internal sites, Faculty and Department; agreeing to the full coverage of XCRI-CAP to all course types; to agree a policy on integration and external access to electronic data
- Mapping of course structures and fields to the XCRI information model
- Confirm the physical host of the XCRI feed
- Consider and implement and process changes required to maintain the provision of marketing material for the diverse range and volume of courses
- Identify any requirements to expand the virtual server provision
- Identify and implement changes to the LUSI ChB application
- Implement an XCRI-CAP feed
Anticipated Outputs and Outcomes
- Produce policy statements relating to the use and coverage of XCRI –CAP
- Revisions to the LUSI Courses handbook to amend the format in which course descriptions are held and add any additional fields where required
- Implement the XCRI-CAP field
- Revise internal web feeds to instigate the standardisation of the display of marketing material.
- Provide an insight into the value of course comparisons and transparency