Course Data Stage 2 Falmouth University: Course Marketing Data Collector Project
Within the HE sector it has been shown that there is a shortage of accessible information relating to specialist courses like part- time, distance learning, Continuing Professional Development (CPD), and postgraduate opportunities. As a small specialist institution within the areas of Art, Media, Design and Performance, this further restricts our audience and presents challenges to our potential student base and to our marketing team in terms of advertising and navigating to course information. Our marketing reach is also restricted by our geographical location.
University College Falmouth is committed to developing new types of learning experiences for an expanded student base, this includes work based flexible learning opportunities and non-full time campus based courses at home and internationally.
The work completed under stage one of this project has enabled a high level review of the effectiveness of our current course marketing data creation and reporting processes. This work has highlighted issues in relation to data inconsistencies and process inefficiencies. In addition the current processes and structures do not readily support inclusion in an automated information feed.
This project includes the development and trial of a new internal online course data management tool, which will enable us to collate all marketing-relevant course data from initial proposal through the full lifecycle of delivery. Our vision is for this to be a dynamic data collection process with an external marketing feed (Exchanging Course Related Information – Course Advertising Profile (XCRI-CAP) compatible) enabling the institution to respond rapidly to changing market demands and to developments in course delivery technology. This will ensure our visibility to prospective students and other stakeholders as well as providing the most up to date information possible. This facility will raise our profile and enable choice and comparison with bigger institutions that may have more marketing resources at their disposal.
- Reduce course marketing data creation costs through streamlining the process of collecting course marketing-related information
- Improve delivery and accessibility of consistent course marketing data
- Create an XCRI-CAP feed of online CPD, Post Graduate (PG), part time awards and learning experiences
- Investigate using the XCRI-CAP feed to supply information to our online prospectus, external marketing sites and international partners
- Investigate including our full catalogue of awards within the XCRI–CAP feed
- Improve interoperability between course data related systems
- Identify opportunities to develop staff skills in areas related to the project
- Identify collaborative working opportunities within the sector
Anticipated Outputs and Outcomes
- Creation of an XCRI-CAP feed including online CPD, part-time and Post Graduate courses
- Development of an Award and Module validation/data capture system
- Production of technical documentation, interim and final project reports
- Mapped “As is” and “To Be” course marketing processes and assessed the impact of proposed changes
- Developed training materials for key staff
- Evaluated the feasibility of using the XCRI-CAP feed for internal purposes and widening the feed to include all courses
- Create a Project Plan, Blog and website
- Create an XCRI-CAP project case study
- Attend JISC Course data events and meetings
- Complete the XCRI-CAP SAF document
Johanna Smith – Business Information System Development Manager, University College Falmouth, Academic Services, 01326 370434 Jo.Smith@Falmouth.ac.uk