Course Data Stage 2 University of Exeter: CRIATE – Course Related Information AT Exeter
CRIATE will build upon previous work by the JISC funded iPaMS (Integrated Programme and Module System) project, which developed a generic toolkit to allow the production, management and publication of programme and module information. The CRIATE project extends an existing, internally funded, project, which is developing a production course information database, based on the iPaMS schema, and gathering undergraduate course information from a variety of sources.
The CRIATE project will review the existing manual processes relating to course information, with the aim of introducing online programme and module approval, integrated with the course information database. From a technical perspective, the project will, in addition, review and extend the iPaMS database schema and specifications to address the requirements of Key Information Sets (KIS) and develop a process for the production of XCRI-CAP COOL URI compliant data feeds. This will also require the collation of course descriptions (numbering several hundred) relating to postgraduate, continuing professional development (CPD) and distance learning courses, in addition to undergraduate learning opportunities (with over 2,600 module descriptors currently identified). As a result, the CRIATE project will deliver additions and amendments to the previously published iPaMS toolkit, made available at SourceForge.
In addition to the technical and process improvements, the CRIATE project is to review and update the governance and policies relating to course information and its supply to third parties. Furthermore, the opportunity will be taken to review requirements for the use of particular subsets of course data, particularly the various short courses on offer from the University of Exeter Business School, with the aim of identifying further uses of XCRI-CAP data.
- Facilitate easy access to detailed and accurate course information for applicants and current students of ALL learning opportunities at Exeter.
- Centralise the storage and ensure a robust archive of all course related information
- Improve the efficiency of the programme approval process, via process review and development of an online workflow
- Improve the efficiency of the production of data for other purposes (including KIS requirements)
- Improve the quality of course related information
- Implement the XCRI-CAP standard
- Provide additional open access resources, including technical documentation, code and other related project outputs
- Strengthen related institutional governance and policy
Anticipated Outputs and Outcomes
- Ease of access to course information
- Robust archive of course information
- Improved collation of data to be included in the KIS
- Efficiency savings in administrative processes
- Ease of data transfer via XCRI-CAP
- Ease of data transfer to and from other systems
- Use of course data in other systems
- Engagement with the programme community
- Ian Tilsed, Project Director, Tel 01392 72 5385
Ruth O’Neale, IT Programme Manager, Tel 01392 72 2687
Sam Daly, Project Manager, Tel 01392 72 6432
Lauren Welland, Project Support Officer, Tel 01392 72 2681
Helen Connole (seconded), Lead Developer, Tel 01392 72 2566
Ben Norcombe, Developer, Tel 01392 72 2844
Communication and Marketing Services
Rob Mitchell, Web Editor, Tel 01392 72 5020
Rebecca Euesden, Marketing Manager, Tel 01392 72 3091
Emily Leach, Student Marketing and Information Officer, Tel 01392 72 3863
Faculty Support and Policy Development
- Katherine Hellman, Administrative Officer (Collaborative Provision and Programme Approval), Tel 01392 72 3013