Course Data Stage 2 University of Essex: Service Oriented Feeds for Advertising Courses using XCRI-CAP (SOFACX)
The central objective of the University of Essex project, Service Oriented Feeds for Advertising Courses using XCRI-CAP (SOFACX), is to develop an XCRI-CAP (eXchanging Course Related Information - Course Advertising Profile) feed publishing service for the production of clear course information based on a universal standard, across the entire breadth of the University’s offering.
The implementation of this project will promote the availability of accurate, comprehensive and accessible course information, which is essential to any higher education institution and its stakeholders, including: prospective students and their advisers, current students and staff, and funding and regulatory bodies.
This core service will be used primarily as a direct and indirect source for the publication of course information to enquirers, applicants, students, alumni, staff and other key stakeholder groups via the University’s website, online course finder and external service providers. It will also ensure that a wide range of critical internal University admissions and student management systems have access to a centralised, standards-based source of course information for accurate and reliable operation.
- Development of an XCRI-CAP feed publishing service to supply data to existing University broadcasters of course information.
- Development of new course information services for applicants, including modular, CPD and postgraduate research students, via our online course finder and a new research finder.
- Development of standardised course information data schema to ensure that Key Information Set (KIS) data is available for all required courses on our course finder by September 2012.
- Development of a University information management policy in respect of course information, including reference to our partner institutions which deliver courses complementary to the University’s offering.
Anticipated Outputs and Outcomes
- XCRI-CAP formatted data publishing service for use by authorised internal and external data consumers.
- Recommendations regarding use of XCRI-CAP for postgraduate research programmes for potential use by other institutions or as advisory guidance for future XCRI-CAP standard development activity.
- Straightforward sharing of course information through the COOL URI output, allowing visitors to easily re-share course information with others.
- Standardised, accurate, comprehensive and accessible course information for:
- internal management information and business intelligence purposes;
- data production for external reporting and statutory returns purposes; and
- more direct comparison across competitor institutions within core subject areas.