Course Data Stage 2 Cranfield University: Course Data with Integrated Validation, Approval and Selection
Project Course Data with Integrated Validation, Approval and Selection will deliver an operational system to capture course information from initial conception through all approval processes, to creating course information for public use and to ultimately allow students to select modules at on-line registration.
The system will allow the course proposer to record the initial information electronically, this can then be amended and added to whilst in discussion with their Director of Education. Once the information is authorised by the Director of Education the proposed course structure will be electronically workflowed to the relevant School committee members for further discussion. The course information will be displayed electronically during the School and Teaching committee meetings. At this stage the process is following the existing but now automated procedure of the Course Structure Document. The process will allow for revision as the course proposal progresses through the approval process. The system will also allow for existing approved courses to be amended, the amendments will then follow the approval process as per the University Laws and Regulations.
Once approved by the School Committees, Teaching Committee and finally by Senate, a new automated QA procedure will confirm and schedule the update of the student record system and invoke the process which will create the XCRI-CAP record for that course. Once this final approval process has taken place, the course modules will be available to allow the student to electronically select modules at the time of on-line registration and the XCRI-CAP record made available for aggregators.
- Address current critical points of failure in the course set up processes
- Introduce workflow to automate approval procedure
- Provide a single source library of course information available electronically to all staff
- Provide only one source for course information held electronically to ensure consistency in public material
- To provide course data in XCRI-CAP format
- Improve business efficiency in course set up processes
- Increase data quality and consistency in the student records system
- On-line module selection available for students
- Automatically create a historical record of the course data and course information to satisfy the HEAR requirements
Anticipated Outputs and Outcomes
- Case Study: Universities working together with a supplier to achieve a system enhancement to the benefit of the wider community
- Guidelines and User Manuals: User guides for the new course set up, course amendment, validation and approval system detailing the new business processes and how to use the system to satisfy the new business processes
- Software: XCRI-CAP file generator; XCRI-CAP file with COOL URL to allow aggregators to access course information as required; Course set up, course amendment, validation and approval software and electronic workflow mechanism.
- System Documentation: specifications; technical designs and manuals
- Training Packages; tutorials and user manuals
Technical Team Manager: TBA, Cranfield University, IT Department
Project Quality Assurance: John Dickens, Cranfield University, Academic Services, +44 (0)1234 754118 firstname.lastname@example.org