Course Data Stage 2 Coventry University
As the impact of the current financial environment that the FE and HE sector now finds itself operating in continues to manifest itself in various guises, it is recognised that there is an ever growing need to identify the maximum value returned from our data, processes and systems.
Ongoing studies into the ‘make up of the working day’ identify that the lack of data accuracy is a major cause of errors and rework. Eliminating rework by operating a ‘right first time’ approach allows processes and systems to be integrated more effectively without the need for additional examination, whilst creating a feeling of confidence by both data suppliers and consumers, while offering the opportunity to deliver services more efficaciously and economically.
The course data is, in many ways, the ‘life-blood’ of organisations within the HE/FE sector and as such the quality of this information should be given the up most importance and be subject to both the most rigorous quality standards and most effective processes. Our Corporate plan fully demonstrates the University is committed to becoming sustainable by implementing effective and efficient processes.
However, currently at Coventry this is not happening as course creation and validation is a manual paper-based process open to parochial influences resulting in, at best sub-standard data.
The aim of this project is to create a single course creation service which will ensure data quality is at an acceptable standard within a single repository. That will allow us to create a single access and delivery process to our current course data consumers, based on the XCRI-CAP standards, and to others that we have previously identified but shy away from due to lack of confidence in our own data. It is anticipated that our solution could be replicated, and/or help inform, other HE/FE institutions wishing to fallow the same path.
Where relevant it is Coventry’s intention to discuss and share our findings with the wider FE and HE community.
The main objectives of this project will as follows:
- Automated course creation process
- Ensure any new process is used for as many types of courses as possible
- Single repository for course data
- Interoperability between related systems
- Reduce process costs
- Create XML feed
- Solution works on mobile applications
- Develop staff skills
- Identify collaborative working opportunities
- Asses KIS/HEAR data and delivery cross-over with this project
- Use XCRI-CAP/XML feed to populate online store supplied by WPM Ltd
- Use XCRI-CAP/XML to populate our internal marketing website.
- Use data repository feed to create our course prospectus
- Complete investigation to see if a course data feed can be used by or overseas agents and offices
Anticipated Outputs and Outcomes
- SharePoint facility for standardisation of course creation
- EA and process models for new development
- Standard XML Feed
- Identify KIS/HEAR overlap
- Link feed to Coventry marketing website
- Link data feed to Webpage Marketing Ltd short course module
- Any linkage to overseas marketing
- Final project report