Course Data Stage 2 University of Birmingham - Single Source: An Integrated Approach to Managing Programme and Module Information
There is now a requirement to increase the amount of publicly available course-related information, as laid out in the Government White Paper, Students at the Heart of the System. In addition to this our internal acceptors’ and decliners’ survey highlights a desire from our potential students for greater and more consistently structured programme and module related information to enable them to make more informed choices on what and where to study.
Currently our curriculum data is stored and sourced from a number of repositories, with multiple data entry and approval points and this project will focus on developing a single, institution-wide, accessible and editable repository of undergraduate and postgraduate taught programme and module information from the multiple sources that currently exist within the University. By doing so, making more information on our modules and programmes available will be easier and the information provided will be up-to-date and reliable.
Efficiencies will be created as we will aim to remove the multiple data entry and approval points for this information and will streamline the processes that sit around it. In turn, it is hoped that the streamlined programme and module approval and modification processes will remove some of the perceived barriers around regular review and enhancement of our curricula, thereby improving the learning experience for our students.
This system will not only be linked with a separate workflow system around our re-engineered programme and module modification and approval processes, but also into our mainstream marketing channels such as Coursefinder or School websites by being built around the XCRI-CAP standard. It will also act as the source of relevant information to drive our integrated timetabling system, KIS, and relevant elements of wider information sets.
To create a single, institution wide, accessible and editable repository of undergraduate and postgraduate taught programme and module information; and
To streamline the business process that sit around the creation and modification of our curriculum information
These are supported by the following objectives for the project:
- Review the current structure and content of the University’s curriculum information
- Provide accurate clean and robust curriculum information that is aligned to our internal and external requirements
- Deliver an integrated IT solution to store our curriculum information
- Deliver a streamlined set of curriculum information management and modification processes
Anticipated Outputs and Outcomes
- Process maps for key programme and module management processes before and after re-engineering
- Integrated IT solution to act as the data repository
- A curriculum information map to demonstrate the linkages between the various fields of our curriculum information dataset and the processes that develop and approve that information.
- Programme and Module Information workflow system
- Updated Coursefinder system
- Key Information Set statutory return
- Relevant elements of the Wider Information Set
- Enhanced UG and PG prospectuses
- Enhanced student academic experience
- XCRI-CAP feed for our UG and PGT Programmes
- Vicky Holmes, University of Birmingham Project Office, 01214147436 firstname.lastname@example.org