Course Data Stage 2 Bath Spa University
The introduction of XCRI CAP and the enabling processes we will develop throughout this project will benefit both Bath Spa University (BSU) and the wider HE community. By offering a data feed which promotes all BSU courses, making them easier to find and compare across the sector, we will achieve this project’s primary objective which is to enable prospective students to make informed decisions about their HE pathway.
The recent explosion of data hungry applications and requests for course related data, both from external and internal sources, has meant that BSU is finding that its data structures are not consistently fit for all course data purposes.BSU has been using SITS Student Record system for 18 years and it is the definitive record for all student and course related matters.
Over time, the data requirements of the sector and prospective students have evolved. To accommodate the changing landscape the information stored by BSU within its Student Records System has grown organically. This project will enable us to identify deficiencies or inefficiencies in our current data structures and implement process and data structure changes that will put us in the best possible position for future developments.
BSU’s project team will implement processes and data flows to incorporate the identified improvements from Phase 1 of this project into the fabric of BSU’s course management. We will ensure that appropriate future-proof structures are used and the information is collected efficiently. It is envisaged that the work will be completed by the project team, with some consultancy with product suppliers for significant changes to system set-up.
The key stakeholders committed to this project are Student Services, Information Services, Marketing and BSU’s five Schools of Study, and their input will be critical to its success. Representatives from these areas are actively engaged with this project and will ensure BSU wide processes are fit for purpose.
At the core of this project is the re-engineering of business processes to ensure that the correct data is captured, quality control is carried out, and the data stored in an appropriate structure. The structure will be designed with several “customers” in mind, including internal consumers such as management information reports, and external consumers including an XCRI
-CAP feed with a COOL URI for all UCAS
courses, and also requirements from the KIS and the HEAR.
- An XCRI-CAP data feed which will better inform prospective students and enable them to find and compare courses. Including traditionally hard to find courses
- Validation of the resultant data feed against the proof of concept aggregator
- An appropriate course data structure which encapsulates requirements from BSU’s internal and external customers
- Implementation of new processes for Course Data Management with Policies for quality control
- A period of activity to bring internal customers’ data feeds in-line with the new data structure
- A comparison measure to identify progress made. We will chart this progress by updating the SAF regularly and identifying our progress throughout the life of the project
Anticipated Outputs and Outcomes
- Valid XCRI-CAP XML feed consumed by the provided validator using a COOL URI
- Course structure policy producing a data structure suitable for consumption by XCRI-CAP, KIS, HEAR and internal management systems
- Processes and policies for maintaining and managing course data, including training materials and programmes, quality control policies
- Project management reports
- Knowledge enhancement through courses offered
- Dissemination activity materials
Esther Williams, Bath Spa University, Student Services, 01225 875875
Simon Boyce, Bath Spa University, Student Services, 01225 875875