Wellcome Arabic manuscript cataloguing partnership
This project will see the creation of a specialised cataloguing system which will allow 500 Islamic manuscript metadata and cover-to-cover images to be accessible online.
The Wellcome Library, Bibliotheca Alexandrina and King's College, London have formed a partnership to create a free searchable on-line catalogue of 500 Islamic manuscripts in the Wellcome Library.
A cataloguing system will be designed to create and manage descriptive metadata for Asian manuscripts, as well as a website to enable sophisticated access to the metadata and images.
The overall aim of this project is to provide remote access to Islamic manuscripts via rich metadata and associated digital images.
Outputs and Outcomes
- The main output will be a specialised cataloguing system for Islamic manuscripts. This will help provide a standard for institutions holding Islamic manuscripts
- Online access to metadata and cover-to-cover images
- Technical and cataloguing specifications
- Cataloguing tool
- User guidelines
- Catalogue records for 500 manuscripts
- Christy Henshaw, Project Manager, Wellcome Library