Today, the Association of Colleges (AoC), GuildHE and Universities UK (UUK) along with Jisc’s non-executive directors and trustees take the first steps in leading the organisation into 2013.
Over the past 11 months Jisc has been moving towards becoming a separate legal entity and this week becomes a registered charity with a new board of non-executive directors and trustees.
Professor Sir Tim O’Shea, Chair, Jisc and Principal of the University of Edinburgh said: “We are delighted that we are embarking on a new phase of Jisc’s history; being owned by the communities that we serve and truly delivering against their needs.
“Our owners, funders and trustees will play a pivotal role in ensuring Jisc is leading the communities that we serve through our strategic pillars. These include providing a high performing digital infrastructure, developing online content and delivering practical advice and guidance that aligns with the needs of UK further education, higher education and skills sectors.”
The non-executive directors and trustees share their ambitions for what they see for Jisc’s future:
- Innovation for further education, higher education and skills – lead the way in technology aided learning, product development and new services to keep the education sector ahead of the game at the forefront of international practice
- Support research at the highest level - deliver against the needs of researchers, providing core infrastructure services and innovation support
- A fast and powerful network – continue to supply a strong and reliable network to education and research organisations
- Work in closer collaboration – continue to better understand and deliver against the needs of our customers and users, to ensure a positive student experience and skills transferable to the workplace
- Business as usual – continue to provide, those highly valued and used services and deliver support, through networks such as our Regional Support Centres, who supported over 2,000 providers in the UK last year
- Advice and guidance – be a trusted source of expertise for all our customers
- Drive digital enablement – drive the use of digital technologies to improve efficiency, save money, drive student engagement, benefit the student experience and support innovation
- Offer services on a large scale - provide services for universities and colleges which they are unable to implement individually.
HEFCE welcomed the news of Jisc's achievement in becoming independent and a registered charity.
- Mr Richard Boulderstone - e-Strategy and Information Systems Director, British Library
- Prof Celia Duffy - Director of Research and Knowledge Exchange, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Prof Martin Hall – Deputy Chair Jisc – Vice Chancellor, University of Salford, appointed by UUK
- Prof Martyn Harrow – Chief Executive, Jisc
- Prof Paul Jeffreys - IT Director, University of Oxford
- Prof Paul Layzell – Principal, Royal Holloway
- Prof Noel Lloyd, CBE – Retired Vice Chancellor, Aberystwyth University
- Ms Heather McDonald - Chief Executive and Principal, Sheffield College, appointed by AoC
- Prof Sir Tim O’Shea – Chair, Jisc and Principal and Vice Chancellor, University of Edinburgh
- Prof Robin Baker OBE – Director and Chief Executive, Ravensbourne, appointed by GuildHE
- Non-executive director and trustee appointed by Jisc’s funders to be confirmed