ITT: Review of identity metasystems
JISC wishes to fund a study into Identity Metasystems. The study should examine the potential of Identity Metasystems, with the following aims:
- Identify key stakeholders from further and higher education who cover the areas of e-research, e-learning, repositories and libraries, third stream activity and social software. Gaining a suitably diverse and representative group of stakeholders is likely to prove difficult so bidders should outline how they intend to approach this
- Conduct structured interviews and surveys with these key stakeholders to establish the main scenarios for an identity metasystem and potential opportunities
- Where appropriate, map the outputs from above into the e-Framework
- Evaluate the applicability of existing identity metasystems against the scenarios identified above
- Establish the maturity of identity metasystems, particularly some criteria to determine when it would be appropriate to start pilot implementation projects
- Evaluate how identity metasystems would fit with existing authentication and authorisation systems already in use, such as eScience certificates and the UK Access Management Federation
- Provide an overview of platform support and availability of libraries, open source toolkits etc
- Compose a report summarising the findings from the above and proposing recommended next steps, if these are appropriate.
A total of up to £50,000 is available for this project, inclusive of VAT and all expenses. The project will be for 6 months beginning in December 2007.