Webinar: The future of web applications
Connecting the personal, mobile and institutional
Date: Wednesday 9 May 2012
Time: 13:30 - 14:30 BST
This webinar has now finished. A recording of the webinar is accessible via the link below.
|The future of Web applications: Connecting the personal, mobile and institutional |
Students now arrive at university and college armed with smart phones and laptops with a bewildering range of applications and functionality. Increasingly IT managers are struggling to know how to adapt ageing institutional systems to connect to these applications. This webinar will focus on how widgets and plug-ins can be used to extend the functionality of systems as well as connect to mobile devices.
The webinar will include an introduction to current developments exploring the potential to extend the Virtual Learning Environment and will provide an overview of the JISC Observatory report Delivering Web to Mobile. A short overview of the JISC Distributed Virtual Learning Environment (DVLE) programme will be followed by a a demonstration of the widgets developed by the Widg@t project and the Edukapp store project which is developing an Education app store for the UK. The session will conclude with an opportunity to ask questions.
- Scott Wilson, Assistant Director, JISC CETIS
- Rob Englebright, Programme Manager, e-Learning, JISC
- Fridolin Wild, Edukapp project, Open University
- Lucas Anastasiou, Edukapp project, Open University
- Franck Perrin, Widg@t project,
What will you learn or take away?
Webinar participants will be given a good overview of current publications and an understanding of the potential for widgets and plug-ins to extend the functionality of legacy learning environments. Participants will take away ideas to use in the their own institutions.
Who is this webinar aimed at?
- Learning technologists
- IT support managers
- VLE managers
Relevant links / websites
If you are using social media to talk about this webinar, please use the hashtag #jiscwebinar
This webinar is free of charge
Important information for participants
- Webinars will be run using the Blackboard Collaborate software platform, provided and supported by JISC Netskills
- Participants will need to have the latest version of Java installed on their PC/Laptop - check settings here: http://tinyurl.com/6bacwu4.
- You will need a headset (headphones and microphone) to listen to and talk in the session. Don't use built-in microphones or speakers (built into laptops or webcams) as this creates echoing, feedback and will spoil the session for others.
Download a participant's guide to Blackboard Collaborate
- In some instances you may experience firewall/proxy issues which need to be changed and they are often controlled by the local IT Administrator. If you have these issues, please read the proxy set up guide and information on firewall errors.
There is also a self-diagnosis page which gives guidance on how to solve such issues.
- JISC reserves the right to limit registration numbers for the live webinar and to give priority to attendees from within a Higher Education of Further Education Institution in the case of over-subscription.