Innovating e-Learning online conference 2008
Learning in a Digital Age - Are we prepared?
4-7 November 2008
Themes for Innovating e-Learning 2008 focus on the productive and energising tension between the tried and tested and the wholly innovative. e-Learning may now have established a foothold in learning and teaching, but are the demands of delivering the curriculum restricting its innovative potential? How can we plan to ensure the best possible e-enhancement of learning in the future?
Theme 1: Embracing the future now
'I've done a few online conferences, and this one  has by far been the best organised and most worthwhile in terms of quality of discussion'
Keith Smyth, Napier University
Focussing on technology and curriculum redesign, Theme 1 asks us to assess how prepared we really are for models of learning and teaching appropriate for a digital age. Questions posed by this theme include:
- How can we use technology in ways that enrich learners’ experiences and enhance curriculum design and delivery?
- What impact might curriculum redesign have on learning and teaching in the subject disciplines?
- Who might benefit most from innovative uses of technology?
- What demands do 21st century models of learning and teaching make on physical learning spaces?
Theme 2: Going boldly into the dark
Theme 2 explores the uncertain but stimulating possibilities technology will bring to learning and teaching in the future. Disruptive and mobile technologies in the hands of IT literate learners are already changing current practice. What is coming next on the horizon? Questions posed by this theme include:
- Who will drive the learning process? What is the future of the relationship between learners, their tutors and institutions?
- What are the benefits and issues around learning in immersive worlds?
- How can institutions plan for the future?
The conference will be of interest to researchers, practitioners and thinkers in the field of pedagogic innovation. Delegates from further and higher education and from overseas are welcome to take part. The conference takes place primarily in an asynchronous virtual environment which can be accessed wherever and whenever is convenient to you. Some sessions will make use of the Elluminate Live!® virtual classroom. Get your own free Elluminate vRoom™ One or two sessions will use Second Life. Both the Elluminate and SL sessions will be recorded, and have associated discussions in the asynchronous environment.
Please note that this conference is now finished. However, you can view the presentations and proceedings.
The evaluation of the conference is now available for download.